Saturday, August 25, 2012

40K starter set preorders...

... are kinda up! Get yours for 20% off + free shipping(!) over at Wayland Games!

Awesome dude is awesome!
I caved in and bought a set. Much due to this amazing dude. No idea when I'll have time to paint it or if I will ever have a need for it. Perhaps as allies to my (still on sprues) renegade guard?

Monday, August 20, 2012

Finished: Hobby Boss KV-1, 1/48 scale

I finally got around to getting the light tent all set up so I could take photos of all the stuff that's finished but not yet up on the blog.

First out is the KV-1 that I've blogged about earlier (here and here). A simple out of the box build. Nothing major with the kit, apart from those darned decals. I kinda got them where I wanted after a while.

The bolt heads on the applique armour was really nice. I learned a ton on how to do streaking due to them.

The KV-1 was painted solely with the AK Interactive color modulation set for Soviet WW2 armor. As stated earlier, I'm kinda in love with it! :) Weathering was done with AK Interactive wash for Soviet green and of course some MIG pigments in the end.

Friday, August 17, 2012

*zoooom* Dakkajet Continued

This thing is a blast to paint! It's really striking when you paint some of the newer kits right after painting some early/very early ones. Like now, I just finished off a pretty bad (fine!)cast of Ghazkull. With a ton of details that aren't really clear on how to paint. Is it pants or is it just a smooth part of a bionic leg? Of course it's easier with vehicle kits, but even the rather new Chimera suffers from some of it.

The ever growing WIP-shelf in my cabinet.
Anyhow... lets quickly forget the WIP-stuff (notice some stuff from a year ago?) and move on to the Dakka Jet. Painting is progressing. The first coat of wash is on, just a general one to act as wash/filter, and once that one is dry it's time to add some chipping and concentrating on toning down the chrome of the jet exhausts.

One thing that's really helping is using slower drying enamel colours for the washes. It's pretty common to use an oil colour based wash on vehicles. While that has its purposes (really really really long open time) I kinda prefer enamels due to their rather long open time.

For the Dakka-Jet I used some of the enamel washes from AK Interactive. These enamel based washes remain workable for an hour or two before setting. Oil colour washes, at least when I do them, tend to stay workable for a day or so depending on how thick they are.

Oh, and a Pro-Tip... do NOT lick the brushes you use for non-waterbased-acrylics. It tastes really really bad. I promise you... -.-

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Yet another WIP...

Actually the KV-1 is finished and stuff. But I just havent got around to setting up the photo stuff in order to add it to "finished models". In a couple of days perhaps. The desk is occupied by that -awesome- Dakka Jet at the moment, no time to photograph stuff!

I – of course – went with a Luftwaffe camouflage-ish camo. Sure, I waste the rule of red paintjob, but it is so much cooler with a "proper" paintjob. Or at least thats what I think... :)

Much to my surprise all my masking held up this time. Usually I get gaps in the masking and then rip up some paint with the tape. Not this time. I guess it has to do with the enormous amount of glosscoat in between the colours. (Note: Invest in some gloss coat manufacturer stock)

Hopefully I'll be able to get this one done within the week. I have a ton of Ork Nobs to paint as well... -.-